Monday, May 10, 2010

The next start for a Piper pitcher

Written by: Jessalyn Weaver
Senior, Eagan, Minnesota
Softball

This fall, I will be pursuing my Ph.D. in Dr. Reuben Harris’ lab at the University of Minnesota in the biochemistry, molecular biology, and biophysics program.

The focus of the lab is on beneficial mutation and innate immunity, specifically for the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). The project that I have been working on and will continue to work on as a graduate student is elucidating the binding characteristics of two proteins involved in the HIV infection and replication.

Vif (Viral infectivity factor) is a protein that is produced by HIV. It functions by binding to APOBEC proteins (proteins produced by human T cells) and degrading them. In the absence of VIF, APOBEC proteins cause hypermutation in the viral DNA, rendering the virus unable to replicate. It will be my goal to more fully understand the binding characteristics of APOBEC and Vif, and ultimately determine a mechanism to prevent Vif from binding to and degrading APOBEC. This research could potentially lead to new ways to treat HIV infection in humans.

I received the Walter A. Kenyon scholarship that I will be putting toward my graduate education, but as a graduate student in the field of biology, my graduate tuition is paid for and I receive a yearly stipend to conduct research. I will also be applying for grants to fund my research.

Being a student-athlete at Hamline has been challenging but at the same time has been a great experience. I am really glad I made the decision to transfer here after my freshman year. There have been several professors at Hamline that have significantly helped me in getting to the point that I am at now. Two of these professors that really stick out are Bonnie Ploger and Irina Makarevitch.

Bonnie was the first biology professor that I had at Hamline and was my advisor my first year here. Her class really reinforced my decision to become a biology major. It was unlike any other class that I had ever taken; it was interesting, fun, and most importantly it taught me the basic skills that are needed to be a good scientist. Bonnie has also provided me with a lot of good advice throughout my first two years and gave me the opportunity to be a teacher’s assistant in the biology department which was a great opportunity.

Irina was my genetics ad biochemistry professors, two of my favorite biology courses that I have taken at Hamline. She really sparked my interest in the area of genetics, molecular biology and biochemistry. Irina advised me throughout my honors project and wrote me several letters of recommendations.

Not only have I enjoyed my academic experience at Hamline but I have also really enjoyed playing softball for Hamline. When I decided to transfer to Hamline I had no expectations for softball at all, I really just hoped that I could make the team. I really wasn’t expecting to come in my first year and be the starting pitcher. I was fortunate that I could join the team and make an impact right off the bat.

I owe a lot of my success on the field to the coaching staff here at Hamline. Coach Jim Rubbelke has a lot of knowledge of the game and has been one of the best and most knowledgeable head coaches I have ever played for.

Coach Jason Iuli joined the coaching staff my junior year at Hamline. Not only did Jason really help my with my pitching but also made practices and games a lot of fun. In addition to getting the opportunity to play under a great coaching staff, I also had the opportunity to play with a great group of girls.

As a biology major and a chemistry minor I have taken several lab courses, and on many occasions games times and lab times conflicted. Being a student-athlete was challenging, but it would have been much more difficult if I wouldn’t have had such great professors who understood my commitment to my sport and such great coaches who understood the importance of academics.


**********
Note from the Sports Information Department: The Pipers would like to thank Professor Ploger and Professor Makarevitch for providing some thoughts and background into Jessalyn's academic career:

Professor Ploger: Jessalyn is an outstanding biology student who was recognized by the Biology Department for her academic excellence, research potential and service to the department when we awarded her the Ruth Sullivan Scholarship for the outstanding junior biology student of the year, and again this year when she was awarded a Walter A. Kenyon Award for outstanding senior biology students. When she served as a teaching assistant for me in one of my introductory biology lab sections, Jessalyn was a delight to work with. The students in her lab section appreciated her clear, well-organized talks and kind, friendly help during the labs.

Jessalyn successfully defended an impressive honors thesis this spring based on collaborative research that she conducted with Dr. Reuben Harris in the Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Biophysics at the University of Minnesota. This research will be submitted for publication. She will continue research at the University of Minnesota next fall when she begins the Ph.D. program in the same department.

Professor Makarevitch: Jessalyn Weaver '10, is one of the best biology students. In addition to her major in biology that she completes with Honors, she graduates with Chemistry minor. Jessalyn has an outstanding research record. For over a year, she diligently worked in the University of Minnesota Lab under Dr. Reuben Harris investigating HIV viruses and the mechanism of HIV infection. After graduation, Jessalyn will be writing up her work for a publication and will start working toward her PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Biophysics Program at the University of Minnesota.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Jessa! Mom and dad are very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She got it all from her Aunt Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessa! This is very, very nice-Congratulations.
    Uncle Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Jessa! We are very proud of you.

    Big bro,
    Jay

    P.S. Stop overachieving. You are making me look bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessa, I wouldn't expect anything less of you! Congratulation and good luck with EVERYTHING!! Don't be a stranger...you know where we'll be.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete