Thursday, March 18, 2010

From one sport to the next


Written by: Kara Poirier
First-year, Eau Claire, Wis.
Women's Basketball, Softball


The sun was finally starting to shine, the snow had begun to melt, I could walk outside without wearing thirteen layers of clothes, and I was sad and excited at the same time. My emotions had very little to do with the weather, and almost everything to do with my sports. At this time of year, basketball had just ended. The season that people say seems to last forever did come to a close, and it seemed all too soon for me. It’s always disappointing when the season ends. I had put so much time and effort into it, and practice and games had become a habitual part of every day. My schedule seemed all messed up now. Most people wouldn’t know what to do with all this extra time. Not me, though. This is where the excitement comes in. One day my season ends and things are sadly brought to a close, and the next day (literally) I’m at a new practice, beginning a new season.

The overlap of basketball and softball doesn’t allow for much down-time, or any for that matter, and it can be difficult to switch from one sport to the next overnight. I have to admit, the first couple softball practices were pretty rusty, and felt all wrong, but soon enough I got into the flow of things. I did have to go back to those feelings and experiences of being a first-year athlete again, not knowing what to expect or what was going on, like I had had when basketball first began, but nonetheless, I was grateful to be active. It took my mind off moping about basketball, and gave me the same type of schedule I had before. We’re now playing outside, and I’m excited to be a part of this new team, and have another season ahead of me. (Although I will continue to make appearances in the gym, of course.)

No comments:

Post a Comment